About Me

My photo
I now live in Victoria, after a couple years on the North Shore of Vancouver, and a (too) brief time in the prairies. Working as an artist, mother and wife (not necessarily in that order), i am striving to live well, to find the truth of God in all things, and to pass on this truth to others.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

resolution

i've decided to start working out 5 days a week. 
the main reason for this decision:  we're going to california in 2 months and i want to feel like i'm rocking my swimsuit.  and, of course, health, vitality, stewardship of my body, yada yada.  i think the swimsuit will be what gets me out of bed.
this is the plan:  i will get up at 7:30 (instead of 7:45), will eat breakfast, get my daughter up and her lunch packed.  then, at 8, i'll do one of my 20 minute workouts.  i'll say goodbye to my family members departing to their various places and have a shower.  conceivably, i'll have eaten, worked out and showered by 9am. 
i told the plan to scott this morning.  and then i did it.  i have reasoned that since scott takes mondays off, i'll only have to do this compacted schedule 4 days of the five - and then weekends off.  here was the conversation over breakfast:

j:  i think i can do this.
s:  yes
j:  i figured out that it will only have to be four mornings a week because of your day off
s:  yes
j:  so, i think i can do this.
s:  janet.  i think that you can wake up at 7:30 four times a week.

did you catch the sarcasm?  i did.

this makes me think of a new term i learned on new years day:  first world problem. 
these are problems that we harp on about that would never be a problem in a third world setting (or even a second world...is there such a thing?).  here's some examples:
i can't reach the remote.
i can't fit all my christmas decorations in their previous four boxes.
i don't like the tea selection at starbucks.
my wireless internet is a little slow today.
i won't be able to eat dessert because my spanks are too tight.

i need to get up at 7:30 so that i can eat breakfast early enough so that i don't puke it up while i do my dvd workout so that i can look good in my swimsuit when i go to disney land in march.

this is a first world problem.

doesn't that help put things into perspective?
my bookclub is reading "the happiness project" and i feel like "first world problem" is written all over it (i am only in chapter one, to be fair.  maybe it gets better). 

so, here's another resolution i'm making right now as i type to you all out there that i love (and some that i have never met)............... i'm going to attempt to view my problems through this lens - a recognition of my privileged state, and not take myself so seriously.  and, recognize that many of my "problems" are really there because of my excess.

a kick in the pants, while i physically kick myself in the pants 5 days a week between 8 and 8:30. 
i think i can do this.



No comments:

Post a Comment