About Me

My photo
I now live in Victoria, after a couple years on the North Shore of Vancouver, and a (too) brief time in the prairies. Working as an artist, mother and wife (not necessarily in that order), i am striving to live well, to find the truth of God in all things, and to pass on this truth to others.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

exercise, age, and Christian fiction

my abs hurt. 
my abs hurt because i thought i would go "easy" on my knees, which are also hurting.  so i bought a yoga video.  i hurt my knees doing a jillian michaels "bun and thigh" video.  and then i bought a jillian michaels yoga video.  and now my knees and my abs hurt. 
or maybe this is just what 37 feels like and i'd be in a lot worse shape if i didn't exercise. 

my kids got a science video from the library, just to watch for fun.  i was thinking back to how incredibly boring science videos were in my day (except for the birth video that i watched right before lunch in grade 10 biology.  i just remember thinking "what am i looking at here?", and then it slowly began to dawn on me.
                                 are
                                     you
                                          KIDDING
                                                          ME!!
I figured the lady must have been amazonian in size to begin with.  there's no way normal lady parts could turn into that.  i'm pretty sure marilynne got my lunch that day, and i, no word of a lie, did not participate in pre-natal classes later in life because i didn't want to re-live this experience).
as i was having this thought process about science boredom, it came to mental light that i also watched 'videos' on film.  on film!  yes, that's what 37 looks like.  i remember watching my teacher trying to thread the film through the projector, cutting the last frame into an angle, turning the knobs.  OH my, i wanted to do that!  i asked a classmate how you learn and they told me you had to be in the audio visual group, and then informed me that if i wanted any social life of any kind i would get the dream of threading a film projector out of my head. 
so i became a teacher instead.  sadly, in the days of VHS.  i have still never experienced projector pleasure. 

i'm currently lost in a good book, and, i must say surprisingly, it's by Ted Dekker.  i was browsing the church library, frankly turning my nose up at the Christian romance section, when a friend suggested this author.  and it's great!  it's got all the elements i love - romance, science fiction, time travel, action, metaphor, beautiful description...i hate that i'm amazed.  i think i'm so tired of "Christian" art being about soaring eagles and back-lit cottages, happy endings and mediocre prose - it's so refreshing to read someone who's actually popular AND good.  praise the Lord!

speaking of, i better go read before the science video ends.  i need to rest my abs anyways.

1 comment: