About Me

My photo
I now live in Victoria, after a couple years on the North Shore of Vancouver, and a (too) brief time in the prairies. Working as an artist, mother and wife (not necessarily in that order), i am striving to live well, to find the truth of God in all things, and to pass on this truth to others.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

on the topic of food

i have recently realized something:  i don't have a personal philosophy of food.  or, at least i didn't until my recent realization.
it seems that others do. 
i was talking to a beautiful friend of mine the other night (yes, you!) and she was asking me how i think about the food i eat.  do i work off of a reward system:  x amount of exercise = x amount of food?  do i count calories?  do i eat breakfast always? do i only eat when i'm hungry?

i was shocked.
tongue-tied (unusual for me)

i had to very quickly try and think of something that sounded logical, but the truth is, i just eat.

i
                just
                                 eat!

i do think about food groups - especially protein and fruit/veggies.  i try not to gorge myself on anything.  i eat healthy, home-cooked meals.  but for the most part when i open the fridge all i'm thinking is "what will taste yummy?", and i go from there.

so, here is my newly minted and possibly temporary personal food philosophy:  food is for the body, as a source of energy, and for the soul, as a form of pleasure. 


oh my goodness, i just thought of something else that comes into play in my food philosophy:  dietary issues!!! how could i have forgotten?  before the "what will taste yummy" question, is the "does this recipe contain gluten/tree nuts/dairy/yeast?" and if the answer is yes, then the yummy factor comes in.  can anyone blame me for not wanting to bother with counting calories after that mental pretzel?

so, okay, my new and possibly temporary personal food philosophy is: 
food is for the body, as a source of energy, and for the soul, as a form of pleasure, and can be a dangerous poison to your family members so be careful.

happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I should be writing this on your blog, but last night at my home group we had slutty brownies and ice cream! Oh, my, it was DELICIOUS! (and not free of any of those things you mentioned!)
    Love Cori

    ReplyDelete