About Me

My photo
I now live in Victoria, after a couple years on the North Shore of Vancouver, and a (too) brief time in the prairies. Working as an artist, mother and wife (not necessarily in that order), i am striving to live well, to find the truth of God in all things, and to pass on this truth to others.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

driving miss janet

I've started driving like an old lady.
maybe it's because of the $180 ticket i got when we first arrived here, for running a red.  oh, stop the gasping!  it had just turned red, i was lost, my kid had just peed her pants....mitigating circumstances.
i used to be a 70 girl, that was my speed of choice.  but lately i look down and see that i'm cruising the strip at a whopping 40 km/h.  i quickly glance up at my rear view mirror and see the line of cars and imagine all of the cursing i'm instigating.  this is why i don't have a Christian fish on my bumper - why should Jesus be blamed for my inadequate driving skills?
today i was making my way to a coffee shop down the street when this happened to me again.  i had just dropped off my youngest at a friends and was on my way to meet with a group of artists, to talk about the work of being artists and to brainstorm works of art that could correspond with the current sermon series at our church. 
the car was quiet
the air was fresh and warm and the wind was up
i was enjoying how the trees on either side of the road were learning towards each other, hugging the street with their limbs.  hugging me in my van.  i love roads like this,  especially in the fall with the lovely yellows and reds and purples and greens and, YES!, oranges.  i was breathing deeply and praying thanksgiving.
and then i looked down at the speedometer.
and looked up at the mirror.

oopsie daisy

in other not at all related news, scott and i have recently released our first album.  we recorded it in his brothers studio in August - a whirlwind day and a half.  and then Jon (said brother) worked his magic on it for a few weeks, adding instrumentation and creativity and beauty, and voila!  the songs are all written by Scott and the albums called "everyday prayers" - because these songs all began as his prayers.  prayers that sunk down into him and sloshed around and came back up with music attached. 
i've tried to write a few songs in my life, but they usually end up sounding like show tunes (think jazz hands and a trumpet section).  scott's songs are significantly better :)

feel free to buy it here: everydayprayers.bandcamp.com

think of me when you find yourself acting elderly :)


No comments:

Post a Comment