About Me

My photo
I now live in Victoria, after a couple years on the North Shore of Vancouver, and a (too) brief time in the prairies. Working as an artist, mother and wife (not necessarily in that order), i am striving to live well, to find the truth of God in all things, and to pass on this truth to others.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Rich

I'm home from B.C. And feeling very rich indeed, for many reasons.
The first: my first weekend in bc was spent with three friends in a trailer at the base of a mountain. We laughed, we cried, (both a ridiculous amount) and we prayed. On Saturday we spent the day taking turns sharing our lives and praying for each other. By the end of the day we looked like puffy eyed raccoons, but it was so fantastic. You know that verse about how pleasing it is when brothers dwell together in unity? Well, ditto for sisters. What a gift to be surrounded by women who know my ugliness and surround me with the arms and words of Christ.

Posted by Picasa
And then camp at Homewood was amazing this year. Our kids are finally at the go and wander age so camp was very relaxing and fun and adventurous. We did lose our son the first day, and I was just about to reach the point of hysteria when I walked into a room and there he was! I held myself together for along enough to get him into our room and then I cried and hugged and begged him to have mercy on my poor heart. I must have gotten through to him because yesterday we were in best buy and he looked up at me and said "mommy, I'm going to stand over there ok?". Bliss!

After camp I had some great conversations, one which took place in a hottub for over an hour, and went shopping with a dear friend who actually treated me to a new dress and sweater (unbelievable!).

Then I came home.

Last time I went to BC I came home to saskatoon and entered a funk. My first night back I went to a baby shower and came home in tears. I said to Scott "I need 10 years to catch up with these friendships. How will that ever happen?". I think up until visiting I was feeling really positive about the move to the prairies. But then I was dipped again into the ocean of my friendships in BC and began to experience my new homeland as a desert experience.
Well,
This time I came home a little concerned, a little nervous about how I would feel. I went out last night with two friends for a walk around the river and came home smiling. I'm RICH! I have friends here who love me and care for me and let me love and care for them. We laughed and cried together, and talked about ridiculously personal things. A sincerely perfect evening (vulnerability, cheese, chocolate, exercise and a movie...what more could a girl ask for?)

So, I'm committed to focussing on this excess of love, especially when finding out my kitchen subfloor has rotted, my new computer might not be all I desired (I know, cry me a river), and the savings account is empty. I'm rich in what matters, in what brings life, in what will sustain me through all these tossing storms. I sincerely hope that you are feeling the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment